Get into the GREEN ROUTINE
& help the environment EVERY DAY
50 Ways to Get Started
● Bring clean paper, cardboard & magazines to Stop N Play’s Green Fiber Bin.
● Unplug your cell phone charger as soon as it's fully charged.
● Donate old cell phones.
● Turn off computers, monitors, lights, printers, fax machines when not in use.
● Get off junk-mail lists, & stop spam faxes.
● Print on both sides of paper.
● Get a library card.
● Eat more veggies & eat what’s in season.
● Plant a garden.
● Start composting.
● Reduce irrigation, use mulch.
● Bring lunch to work in reusable containers
● Support recycling by buying more recycled products.
● Use greener cleaning products.
● Choose items that come in less packaging.
● Pass on paper plates & Styrofoam cups.
● Buy energy-efficient appliances & look for the Energy Star label.
● Bring your own bags to the grocery store.
● Shop close to home & make fewer trips.
● Check the air pressure in your tires regularly.
● Drive under 60 mph to save gas.
● Stop idling in your car.
● Give your car a tune-up so it drives more efficiently.
● Turn off the lights when you leave the room.
● Use led or compact fluorescent light bulbs.
● Install low flow showerheads & take shorter showers.
● Upgrade your toilet to a low-flush model, many rebates are available.
● Fix leaky faucets, and sprinkler systems.
● Don’t let the sink faucet run when you brush your teeth, use a cup.
● Install a ceiling fan to improve heat & cool air circulation.
● Keep your shades down in the summer & up in the winter.
● Adjust the thermostat a few degrees higher in the summer & lower in the
● Insulate your home, stop leaks & seal the windows & doors.
● Use the dishwasher only when it’s full.
● Turn off the dishwasher’s drying cycle, let dry over night.
● Wash full loads when using the washing machine.
● Wash your clothes in warm or cold water.
● Use concentrated laundry soap.
● Use natural not artificial fragrances.
● Don’t over dry your clothes & line dry when possible.
● Turn down the thermostat on the water heater & insulate it.
● Find new uses for old things.
● Buy things that will last.
● Pay your bills & do your banking online.
● Spend more time outdoors.
● If you see litter pick it up.
● Ride a bike.
● Never throw spent batteries in the trash. They contain mercury, a
hazardous substance that will leak into groundwater or be burned &
released into the air. Save used batteries & take them to a recycling
● Do something fun, participate in a local event for Earth Day or America
● Spread the word. Start an eco-conversation everywhere you go.